Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
“Always remaining focused on our long-term goals and staying true to our strategic pillars even in challenging times has been the key to the company’s success, and will continue to be in the years and decades to come.”
John is responsible for the financial activities of Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, including worldwide financial reporting and management, forward planning, taxation and treasury activities, as well as information systems and technology.
“We have a strong operating model, a long-term approach to doing business and we will never sacrifice the quality of our product,” he says. “This combination has helped us achieve our leadership position in the industry today and will propel us forward to meet our goals of further expansion in the future.”
John’s highly qualified teams in Corporate Finance, Operations Finance and Information Systems and Technology support all aspects of the company – from managing the existing portfolio of hotels and residences to developing new properties and managing the company’s financial affairs.
- At Four Seasons: Joined in 2002 as Senior Vice President, Project Financing; in 2004 became Senior Vice President, Residential (managed the residential business for 10 years); has held current position since 2005
- Previously: Four years as member of the Audit and Business Investigations Practices at KPMG in Toronto; followed by 14 years at IMAX Corporation, most recently as President, Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer
- Education and professional designations: Chartered Accountant since 1986; Chartered Business Valuator since 1988; graduate of the University of Toronto, Victoria College, B.Com 1983
- Institute of Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators
- Ryerson University Digital Media Zone
- Member of public and private boards
- John’s twin passions in life are his family and all things business.
- John spends his spare time supporting and mentoring entrepreneurs starting and growing businesses in Canada by sharing his experiences having had the privilege to work with two of the country’s most respected brands.
- Advice for budding entrepreneurs: “While innovation, passion and commitment sparked the idea, a well thought out plan is critical to turning that idea into a successful business.”
- Favourite books: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain, “because we need to give voice to those who live in their heads,” and Horton Hears a Who! by Dr. Seuss, because John truly believes “a person’s a person, no matter how small.”
- Relief from a head full of numbers: Working out in his home gym with one or more family members, cycling, watching movies, and playing with his standard poodles.