Immerse yourself in the regional culture, landscape and history of northern New Mexico as our expert guides lead you on signature excursions that will take you high into the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, across the red rocks of Abiquiu and into Santa Fe’s world-class art galleries.
- Daily One-Hour Hike
Meet us in the lobby for a complimentary, guided hike along the Camino Encantado Trail, where you’ll hear the history of Rancho Encantado and the surrounding landscape.
- Family Mountain Biking Adventures
Hop aboard our state-of-the-art, full-suspension Orbea and Santa Cruz mountain bikes for a private, guided tour tailored to your level of ability and interests, from thrilling downhill rides through aspen and alpine forests to more mellow, meandering trails perfect for a family adventure.
Adventures in the High Desert
- Whitewater Rafting
Ride the world-famous rapids of the Rio Grande. Known as the Racecourse, this 4-mile (6.4-kilometre) series of Class II and III rapids is the most popular in New Mexico and promises an exhilarating ride.
- Hot-Air Ballooning
Soar high above the Land of Enchantment at sunrise in a private hot-air balloon flight. Each tour is tailored to your time commitment and interests.
- Horseback Riding
Ride through breathtaking countryside on full- or partial-day trips, suitable for beginner or experienced riders.
Play a round amid dramatic, sandstone ridges at Black Mesa Golf Course in Mesilla or at the top-rated Paa’ko Ridge, home to fantastic high-desert views, native vegetation and arroyos.
- Fly Fishings
Whether you're an experienced angler or have never heard of a tippet, we'll send you out with a highly experienced guide.
- Skiing and Snowboarding
Nestled in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains, our Resort is a short distance from the exhilarating slopes and pristine powder of Ski Santa Fe.
Explore snow-covered forest trails in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains or venture up high into the Santa Fe Ski Basin.
- Expert Guides
- Private Tours
- ORBEA AND SANTA CRUZ FULL-SUSPENSION MOUNTAIN BIKES
- Jeep Tours
- Camino Encantado and Los Caminitos Canyon
- Embark on a private, two-hour guided hike along the ridges and arroyos surrounding Rancho Encantado. Enjoy grand vistas while learning regional history and hearing colourful tales of this popular “dude ranch” and the characters who have visited since the early 1900s. (Easy to Moderate Hike)
- High Mountain Ramble
- A scenic drive into the Sangre de Cristo Mountains up to 10,350 feet (3,155 metres) starts your adventure. From the Santa Fe Ski Basin, our guide will lead you on a moderate hike along mountain streams and verdant meadows to views of distant peaks. Spring excursions offer a variety of wild flowers, while fall hikes showcase forests of colourful aspens. Ambitious hikers can climb above the tree line and visit crystal-clear mountain lakes. (Half-Day and Full-Day)
- Rio en Medio
- Just a short, 10-minute drive to the trailhead, this moderate hike meanders through a lush mountain canyon of meadows and creek crossings. The trail wanders through a canyon supporting a wide variety of vegetation types – oak trees, chokecherries, wild hops, prickly-pear cactus, cholla cactus, rose bushes, ponderosa pines and even towering Douglas fir trees, culminating at a shimmering, pool-and-water cascade. (Three-Hour and Half-Day)
- The “Valley of Shining Stone” offers hikers a variety of hidden canyons and vistas, each filled with history, geology, ethereal rock formations and quiet wonder. Spend a day with our knowledgeable guides who will transport you to the gems of this area, which have inspired artists, adventurers and dreamers since the 1900s. (Half-Day and Full-Day)
Historical and Cultural Excursions
- Santa Fe City Tour
- Soak up the vibrant mix of cultures that abound in the nation’s oldest and highest capital city, at 7,000 feet (2,134 metres) above sea level. Your private guide will provide an up-close-and-personal look into the historical neighbourhoods, buildings, architecture, churches, folklore, galleries, museums and shops of this great American Southwest crossroads with an itinerary tailored to your personal interests and time commitments. (Three-Hour and Half-Day)
- Native American Cultural Tours
- Experience a private, guided tour of nearby Bandelier National Monument with historical exhibits and ancient cliff dwellings of the Pueblo Native Americans. A tour of the less-travelled areas of the Monument follows ancient footpaths and kiva ladders into 800-year-old cliff dwellings with remarkable petroglyphs. Modern-day Pueblo life also can be explored with our knowledgeable guides. Each tour is tailored to your time commitment and interests. (Three-Hour to Full-Day)
- Georgia O’Keeffe/Abiquiu
- The Abiquiu (Valley of Shining Stone) area and landscape have inspired artists and adventurers for more than a century, offering a window into New Mexico’s past and present, influenced by Native American and Spanish cultures and traditions. Marvel at majestic, red-rock mesas, surreal formations of Plaza Blanca, the hidden Copper Canyon and, towering above it all, Georgia O’Keeffe’s beloved Cerro Pedernal. Areas of exploration will be tailored to your interests and time commitments. (Half-Day and Full-Day)
- High-Road Cultural Pilgrimage
- Take a private guided excursion along the back roads of northern New Mexico, once the northernmost territory of the Spanish Kingdom. Visit traditional villages and sacred holy places such as the Santuario de Chimayo, stopping along the way to meet colourful local artists, historians and gallery owners. (Half-Day and Full-Day)
- Timeless Taos
- Join us on a magical tour to Taos where art, nature and history meet in a beautiful and intense, cultural setting. Enjoy visits to Rancho de Taos, St Francis de Assisi Church, the home of Kit Carson and Hacienda de Los Martinez, and perhaps tour the World Heritage Site of Taos Pueblo. Walk the Plaza and explore the homes and art museums featuring works by Ernest L. Blumenschein, Nicolai Fechin, Millicent Rogers and R.C. Gorman, to name a few. A scenic, return drive – via the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge and along the Rio Grande Valley – will provide even more opportunities to soak up the beauty of northern New Mexico. (Full-Day)
- Ghost Ranch
- A variety of explorations abound at this magical property made famous by artist Georgia O’Keeffe and her expressive depictions of the classic, Colorado Plateau red-rock geology, including hiking, museums, archaeology, palaeontology and horseback riding.
- Custom, Full-Day Cultural Tours, Dances and Ceremonies
- Our custom tours offer guests a look at northern New Mexico’s little-known hidden gems, rich with culture and extraordinary beauty. Areas of exploration include Georgia O’Keeffe’s artistic retreat, Ghost Ranch, and a sensitive, fiercely protected, unexcavated Tewa Village (access is seasonal and by permit only). Other possible destinations include a guided tour of the City of Acoma Pueblo, seasonal ceremonial dances and feasts at nearby Pueblos. Please contact the Adventure Center or the Four Seasons Experience Assistants Desk for more details and availability.
- WINE AND CULTURE OF NEW MEXICO
- Follow the colourful migration of winemaking throughout northern New Mexico with our knowledgeable guide to fine local wines. Explore the unique charm of each winery. Take pleasure in other cultural highlights as this tour is tailored specifically for you. Stop at one or more of the quaint and friendly tasting rooms as well as any of the priceless historic and prehistoric cultural attractions.
- Bonanza Creek Movie Set Tour
- Bonanza Creek, a 14,000-acre working cattle ranch and movie set, is one of the premier film locations in the western U.S. Many classic favorites have been filmed there, and you can be part of the action on this tour. An expert private guide will lead you on a fun, original excursion to explore this renowned site and experience the movie magic. Visit a famed movie set, discover behind-the-scenes secrets and film-making techniques, learn about the history of Santa Fe and the fabled Santa Fe Trail, and uncover the stories and characters that made the Wild West and the Southwest so famous.
- Pachecho Canyon Descent
- Embark on an exhilarating, easy to moderate, downhill ride from the Santa Fe Ski Basin at 10,350 feet (3,155 metres) through a hidden and little-known canyon of diverse ecosystems of pine, aspen groves, mountain streams, meadows and wild flowers. The descent ends in a piñon- and juniper-dotted landscape, with a few more pedal strokes to the front steps of Rancho Encantado. This is one of our most popular family rides. (Three Hours)
- La Tierra Trails
- This trail system boasts 25 miles (40 kilometres) of single track, ranging from technical switchbacks to easy-flowing rides, all providing beautiful views of the Jemez and Sangre de Cristo mountain ranges surrounding Santa Fe. The hilly, cross-country aspect of these trails gives the rider a healthy workout in a picturesque environment. (Three Hours)
- Galisteo Basin Trails
- Explore the newest, single-track trails in the Santa Fe area. This basin contains 20 miles (32 kilometres) of trails perfect for moderate riders looking to elevate their heart rate not only from the exercise, but the breathtaking beauty. Vibrant yellow- and red-rock formations make up the colour scheme with the nearby Ortiz and Sandia mountains as a backdrop. (Three Hours)
- Dale Bale Trails
- The Dale Ball Trail System is a 22-mile (35-kilometre) network of trails in the dramatic foothills of the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. The red-dirt, single track provides riders an adrenaline-filled workout. There are opportunities for intermediate and advanced bikers alike, reaching amazing views of the surrounding mountains and Rio Grande Rift Valley. (Three Hours)